Skip to main content

Featured

Locked down but not out in Italy

Singing from the balconies! One nice thing about this crisis ... solidarity! “Guess you’re not living like a tourist anymore,” was the funny, truthful and somewhat gut-wrenching message of a friend the day the lockdown in Italy began. Today is day 6. My beloved Italia has been hit hard with the COVID19 epidemic. With the second largest elderly population in the world, the epidemic has meant a disproportionate amount of deaths in the country. So though I haven’t been worried about contracting it myself, this isn’t about me or someone like me who, if contracted it would probably have a sucky couple of weeks and then recover. It is about if someone like me contracted it and then spread it to a person with a complicated health history or an elderly person with a weakened immune system. Eerily orderly: Lines for the grocery store, each person one meter apart In a country with no concept (and no physical room really) for personal space, and in a city with reproachable hygie

Critter Crazy

There are moments when I think I have definitely missed my calling. These moments are usually after the end of "So you think you can dance" when I want nothing more than to leap across the room and pirouette down the hallway, or move my legs as effortlessly and intricately as a tango dancer whens she entangles and untangles herself from her partner.

Many other moments, however, these feelings come from noticing the extent of amusement I get from observing animals. They don't even have to be real animals. The Microsoft cat and dog truly entertained me when I discovered them as "helpers." More recently, on my quest to become more Google-world savvy, I added pet turtles to my iGoogle page. They swim along when you pass your mouse over them, and yes, sadly, this also makes me smile...

I suppose that being easily amused can be endearing, like seeing a baby that is playing contentedly with a set of keys. However, at 31, I am not sure what that says about my development...

My Pet Turtles

Regardless, this character trait also explains why, having lived in DC not even 2 months, I have already visited the National Zoo three (3) times. That is 3 out of 8 weekends that I have spent time observing, laughing at (and perhaps with) and cooing over animals... I am the 2010 Dr. Doolittle.

Paradoxically, however, I still have mixed feelings about zoos and keeping animals in captivity. Yet, when I see that zoos make people appreciate the diversity of animals, then I recognize that zoos are essentially advocacy tools for protecting animals and their habitats. This helps me, in part, overcome the tugging at my heart at seeing them behind bars.

But, look at these pictures! You have to admit that these animals are entirely too amusing:


Playing Hide & Seek behind the Fence with visitors


Watching disapprovingly as his friends fight over the wooden box



Trying to fit the ball in her mouth, to show it whose boss


I have no idea...

I really think that at the heart of my fascination with animals is that you find raw emotions: enjoyment, depression, boredom, anger, friendliness, reclusiveness, fear... what you see is what you get.

Animals, unlike humans, don't analyze, fake, misconstrue, create delusions or play games with their emotions. If a pet is mad, it is usually because you took their food away or left them alone. If fearful, it is because you are bigger than them and can inflict harm. If happy, it is because they have a ball/treat/attention. Life is simpler... at least from my vantage point.

I suppose there is the theory that what we detect as enjoyment is actually a facade covering a conspiracy. Any cartoon cat has been modeled after this hypothesis.

Remember this song??

However, whichever theory you subscribe to, I think most can agree that animals make our lives fuller. I leave you with one more amusing tid-bit, an email I got from an unknown source, Cat Journal vs. Dog Journal:(I suppose I am even amused by animal emails...)


Entries in a dog's journal:

8:00 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
9:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!
9:40 am - OH BOY! A WALK! MY FAVORITE!
10:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!
11:30 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
12:00 noon - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!
1:00 PM - OH BOY! THE YARD! MY FAVORITE!
1:30 PM - ooooooo. bath. bummer.
4:00 PM - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!
5:00 PM - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
5:30 PM - OH BOY! MOM! MY FAVORITE!

Entries in a cat's journal:

DAY 752 - My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild satisfaction I get from ruining the occasional piece of furniture. Tomorrow I may eat another house plant.

DAY 761 - Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving around their feet while they were walking almost succeeded, must try this at the top of the stairs. In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I once again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair...must try this on their bed.

DAY 771 - There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices. I was placed in solitary throughout the event. However, I could hear the noise. More importantly I overheard that my confinement was due to MY power of "allergies." Must learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage.

DAY 774 - I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and maybe snitches. The dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to return. He is obviously a half-wit. The bird, on the other hand, has got to be an informant, and speaks with them regularly. I am certain he reports my every move. Due to his current placement in the metal room his safety is assured. But I can wait; it is only a matter of time......
********************

How can this not entertain you??? Do you have any funny animals pics/videos to share?

Comments

  1. Couldn't agree more Karen!! I could spend hours on end watching animals (live or virtual) do regular animal stuff!!

    P.S. I was also amused by the cat and dog helpers....hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Martina- Glad to hear that there are other enthusiasts out there!

    Have you seen this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UTdhK0lwuw

    It makes me laugh every time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment